Friday, July 16, 2010

Fitness #4

Real World Strength vs. Gym Strength

Jim Olmeyer: Are you just looking to lose weight, or do you want increased strength and flexibility as well?
Lester Burnham: I want to look good naked!
- American Beauty

I think this thought has crossed just about all of our minds. It’s sure crossed Korkie77′s. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with it, but it isn’t very conducive to real world AKA functional strength. Turns out we don’t do the bicep curl or bench press motion much in real life.

I quickly discovered this a few years ago when I was called upon with a couple of my friends to help someone move. It was before I started deadlifting regularly, but I thought “No problem, I workout way more than these guys and can bench press 300+!” Imagine my surprise when they kept pace with me and even outlasted me in carrying the heavy furnishings. My pecs were fresh, but everything else felt like a truck had run over it.

There are only three things that matter in functional terms: the grip, forearms and lower back. Make sure not to neglect these parts because if technology ever crumbles, lumberjacks will rule the world.

Here’s a good grip and forearm (and guitar) exercise: plate pinching. Make sure the smooth sides of the plates are facing outside. Start with sets of 15 seconds and 30 seconds of rest inbetween and go from there.

No comments: