Saturday, March 7, 2009

What's Your Playlist Say About You?

I got a new mp3 player this weekend. I have almost as bad luck with mp3 players as I do with printers, none of them seem to last more than a year. This is my 5th mp3 player since the summer of 2007 and I hope it meets a better fate than any of the others:

#1 spontaneously stopped working and couldn't read any of the mp3s on it anymore.
#2 I was playing catch with as I was walking to my front door and missed it, smashing it into 4 pieces.
#3 was stolen from my car along with a sandwich bag of spare change.
#4 melted in my car on the first non-freezing day of the season a few weeks ago. I'm pretty sure it was 65 degrees that day tops.
#5 will last forever and deflect a bullet from my heart, thus saving my life.

Anyway I wanted to streamline the type of music that was on it - upbeat hip-hip or electronica to pump myself up at the gym... or in daily life - but looked at my playlist after I uploaded 100 songs and it's filled with the likes of The Temptations, Stevie Wonder, The Kooks, Musiq Soulchild and "You're the One that I Want" from Grease.

I realized that despite my efforts otherwise, I gravitate towards only one type of song: ones that I like singing to, because I think that's how I enjoy music the most. This explains two things retrospectively: my ridiculously random playlists/cd mixes and my musical ADD (anyone who I've ever driven knows this) where I spend only 10 seconds on a song before I change it to the next one. Sometimes your mood dictates what you want to sing.

So I guess it's no coincidence that my go-tos at karaoke have made it onto each of my 5 mp3 players.