Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Impact

I don't think we really realize the weight of our words. For example, here's a few sayings that have really stuck with me throughout the years:
1. There are always a million reasons to not do something. - Jan Levinson, The Office.
2. Whether you believe you can or can't, you will be right. - Henry Ford.
3. Save the drama for your mama. - Some fool that cleverly rhymed this.

If fictional baby mama Jan Levinson can direct me towards an attitude-changing epiphany, then what's the weight of my friends' words? (Someone's got to pick up the pieces - Will [I bet you don't even remember this]) Teachers? (Keep it simple, stupid - Grayson from Kennedy) For that matter, what about our parents' words? (Take advantage of your opportunities because I never had them - Dad)

I was talking to a client and found that despite his being only 33, has two kids that are 10 and 6. He knows that he is basically their world at that age, and as a result is constantly thinking about choosing his words carefully, trying to prevent his judgments from coloring theirs, etc. His kids will carry whatever he conveys to them for a long, long time. I distinctly remember disliking John Travolta when I was young because my Dad thought he was a greasy looking hippie. Trivial, but what if he had told me that it was because Travolta was white? Or [insert absurd prejudice.]

I recently realized that I sort of have the power to impact people like that at my job. I think it's because everything I say is interpreted as coming from a... "hierarchically higher source," for lack of a better phrase. Obviously I'm not, but such are the social dynamics of being a trainer. They get a good-sized dose of my views on fitness, nutrition and life in general, and I've noticed it really affecting a couple of them. One guy told me that he printed out an email I wrote him with some inspiring mumbo-jumbo in it and taped it onto his monitor at work.

Anyway, it's interesting to think about how the things you say, no matter how trivial you think they may be, might really affect and inspire someone.
:How would you like to be remembered?
:To have made an impact on people.
Well that's a little bit better than "Spreading my seed."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

dudee i was just thinking about this topic.

anyways, it's super cute that your client printed out your e-mail. :)

Will said...

oh i definitely remember.