Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Authorship

There are three books I would want to write, and they have absolutely no relation to each other.

In 6th grade, I had to write a 2 page story for some language arts assignment. It was about a genie named Korkie and his cat (this is the origin of my first e-mail address and various usernames "korkie"). I got a little carried away and ended up with 5 pages, so I just lopped off the end and fabricated some generic ending. After that, I worked on it everyday for a few weeks - until my adolescent attention span ran out and I became equally infatuated with something else. Anyway, I ended up with about 12 pages, single space 12 point font, of a story about a genie who is freed from his lamp after a millenia by a cat scratching himself on it. The cat gets three wishes and thouroughly enjoys jerking his genie around. Seemed promising back then.

Remember when Cupertino and Monta Vista was the subject of this hopelessly biased and skewed article from the Wall Street Journal? (http://www.wsjclassroomedition.com/teen/teencenter/05nov_whiteflight.htm) It told about how white families felt intimidated by the influx of Asian immigrants and their emphasis on academics. It was badly written and poorly researched, but it wasn't completely without grounds. I remember meeting with a junior high friend in college who didn't attend Monta Vista, and said that only when he was surrounded by all white people did he discover that "white people also could work hard and be smart." I'd want to conduct and write about a comparative study of Cupertino vs. other upper middle class communities... namely white ones. What are the differences: Is the emphasis still heavily only on academics as it is in Cupertino, or is there a wider breadth of living encouraged? Are there similarities between Asian immigrants and European immigrants? Etc.

A book on the practical basics of fitness and nutrition. You saw this coming. I would love to dispel some of the dogma the fitness world is inundated with. Said world is for some reason exceptionally susceptible to real-life rumors; the spread of information that has no grounds, and that may or may not be true. There are certainly more educated people to write this, but I think I know what is most salient to people and what they can relate to best.

No comments: