Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Food

One of my clients last week told me that he carbo loaded the day and the day before he came into sessions because he felt he needed the energy. (This is a guy that I have to try to explain the feeling of soreness to because he doesn't know what it is ) He's not running a marathon everyday, for God's sake. Good thing he told me, because that's probably been a major obstacle in his self-stated goal to "get ripped." And being that he's got probably a good 15 lbs to still lose, I don't see what dogma out there convinced him to actually eat MORE and disregard that we tap into our fat stores when we exhaust our available atp/glucose/glycogen/whatever.

I outlined roughly what I eat in a day for him and it looked something like this:
1:00 pm scramble 7 eggs, leave 4 yolks in, 450 calorie protein shake
4:00 pm almonds/cashews, basically some proteiny snack
7:00 pm dinner of some kind of meat and veggies
10:30 pm another 450 calorie protein shake and another proteiny snack, like cottage cheese

So I started requiring all of my clients to keep food logs. What, when, and portions of what they eat/drink everyday. In retrospect I feel kind of bad about just starting it now, because as hard as I push them in the gym, it can be all for nought if their diets are wack. Maybe I feel more committed to them after having known them for a while. Or, results-oriented as we are, the more results they see the better a trainer I'm perceived as. Anyway the first time I'll get to see some logs is tomorrow and I wonder what I'll find... Probably a lot of curry.

On another note, sometimes I wonder how old I look and what range my age could span to people that don't exactly know it. Hey, I can grow a thing on my chin that could be called pubey. It's something I've been thinking about ever since graduation, where before you could assume that the people you meet are between 18 and 22. Or.. 16-18 for Gary. JK. It's not like you can always tell how old people are just by looking, in no small part thanks to us shifty asians. So put someone in the workforce, where people are all dressed alike to fit the context and what's the indicator?

One more related thought: If a hypothetical A that's 35 was getting along wonderfully and became best friends with hypothetical B that's 25, does that indicate:
1. A is immature for his age
2. B is old for his age
3. just a genuine connection?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Probably a lot of curry... haha.

Actually, my food log has been showing a lot of Indian food in the past.