Friday, November 28, 2008

Spoils

This year, I opted to not waste 5 hours of my life by waiting outside of Fry's for Black Friday sales.

1. There wasn't anything that I really wanted or needed. I've gotten an external hard-drive and a nice monitor in the past, but those were out of (relative) necessity. I could probably use a new set of headphones because the foam is completely gone from mine now, but those don't warrant a wait. Or even a special trip to Fry's.

2. I'm more willing nowadays to pay $20 more for something so that I can sleep and stay warm for a night. Black Friday is probably more worth it for big-ticket items like LCD TVs or stereo systems, which is not what I would be getting. The novelty is definitely over.

3. Some people are dicks about waiting in line. The line always develops tumors of people who show up at 4, completely disregarding those who actually waited since midnight. It's the principle damnit, they need to enforce that line better. A couple years ago I remember some lady was really pissed about that and grabbed a shopping cart just so she could start ramming people who showed up later.

4. I had to work at 6-10 in the morning anyway. Which is kind of ironic because my gym is literally a block away from Fry's, so Black Friday would have been more convenient for me than ever before. I could have waited and just gone to work right after.. wouldn't be the first time I went to work in the morning without sleeping the night before.

So in summation, no thanks. It was always fun to develop plans of attack on Fry's interior with Siyu and Eric, but I'm okay with missing that.

The spoils (reads more like an errands list):
-Magazine I took from work. $0
-Planner for 2009. $6
-Birthday card. $2
-Pair of shoes. $20 (online)
-Pair of shoes for my mom. $30 (online)
-And the crown jewel: socks. I splurged $2 more for reinforced heels and toes. $10

Total: $68.

2 comments:

Sarup said...

there weren't any good deals this black friday. probably because the economy sucks. but i feel you on everything you said... happy thanksgiving, willard!

Siyu Song said...

Black Friday was online this year.
It was pretty epic. Amazon had left4dead for $20,New egg had a logitech vx revolution for $9.99. it was exciting.

Also, saving $10 on a $70 external at frys kind of negates itself when you consider there's no sales tax or shipping on Amazon.

But yea.. drawing maps of Frys at 4am was fun...
we should do gilroy next year. Starts at midnight.