Monday, December 8, 2008

Jobs

When I was younger I wanted to be an astronaut. I know it's a pretty generic dream, and I'm not sure how other people arrive at it, but I got there initially from my brother's influence; then I ran with it. Given the choice, I always read sci-fi books and consequently Asimov and Feynman became some of my favorite authors as a kid. My favorite merit badge as a Boy Scout was Astronomy, where my instructor took us into the mountains and woke us up at 3 AM to point out various constellations. I always wanted to go to Space Camp and spin around one in one of those human gyroscope machines. One of my old swimming teachers held his lessons in a pool right next to Moffett Field and Hangar One. I like(d) Star Trek.

It's still my ultimate dream job, even after I realized I could get motion sick even on a canoe. Hey, as long as we're dreaming, we'll just go ahead and remove my queasiness.

Another dream job that wouldn't quite work out is being a food critic. Who wouldn't like getting paid to eat and complain? But I have sort of a weak stomach, can't handle any degree of spice and am allergic to peanuts and a wide range of fruits... so there would be surprisingly many occupational hazards involved in that.

And of course being a supermodel photographer is out of the question because the models wouldn't be able to concentrate around me...

A great one that I've heard a couple of times is being some sort of host for the Travel Channel. Surely any of us could do better than Tara Reid, her horrendous boobs and IQ rivaling an eggplant's. I wouldn't necessarily want to be on TV, I would just want to be sent around the world and experience new things and cultures on someone else's tab.

But if it's a TV show, here are some working titles:
-Wild on with Pei
-Don't Offend the Natives
-Where in the World is Pei Kuo?
-What's Native For "Bathroom?"
-You do WHAT Here? (And in every episode I would say this while looking incredulously at the camera)
-Don't Ask, Just Eat It.

1 comment:

Sarup said...

i like "don't offend the natives" hehe