Saturday, December 6, 2008

Origins

I used to get asked a lot how I got my start in singing, and the answer is so trite that it always makes me laugh/cringe to myself a little bit. Yes, a girl.

It was about May in 7th grade and I was fresh off the heartbreak of my first girlfriend (SARAH, WHY!?!?)... Okay, maybe 'fresh' isn't too accurate. We only lasted from about November to January, but that's a long time for a junior high relationship! (I have this theory that any pre-high school relationship, and most high school ones, should be evaluated with dog years/months/weeks/whatever in regard to their significance.) Anyway, I knew that she liked singing and was going to audition to be in the school choir next year, so it seemed like a good idea at the time to audition as well and possibly have a class with her. It was a classic case of "hoes over bros," as I was potentially abandoning the whole trombone section of the school band for this girl.

I decided on the spur of the moment, and not knowing any other song by heart, I gave a stirring rendition of "A Whole New World" for my first audition ever and spent the rest of the night anxious and restless. Unbeknownst to me, because the choir was short on guys, all I had to do was pretty much just show up and not be tonedeaf.. so I got into the choir.

A couple weeks went by in the summer without seeing her at school everyday and I got over her pretty quickly, but I stayed signed up. A few more choirs, a couple of a cappella groups and some open mics and gigs later and here we are.


After 10 years, I can sing just like this!

1 comment:

Sarup said...

your first girlfriend was named Sarah??? what a coincidence, my first boyfriend was named Willard!!!!

Just kidding :) hehehe. I think that's cute tho. Even though your decisions should be influenced by the opposite sex, i am soooooo glad you started singing because you are a FREAKING amazing singer and beat boxer.

Oh yea, i screamed willard at the beat concert. and you weren't there :( SAD